Applicants must be the child of one of the following:
- Active duty, reserve, or veteran U.S. Marine*
- A Marine killed while serving in the U.S. Marine Corps
- Active duty, reserve, or veteran U.S. Navy Corpsman who is/was attached to a U.S. Marine Corps unit or who was killed while serving with a U.S. Marine Corps unit*
- A U.S. Navy Chaplain or Religious Programs Specialist who is/was attached to a U.S. Marine Corps unit or who was killed while serving with a U.S. Marine Corps unit*
*Veterans must have received an honorable discharge. A discharge status of other, general, under honorable conditions, dishonorable, etc. are not eligible for an award.
Additionally, applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- GPA of at least 2.00 (on a 4.00 scale)
- Family adjusted gross income for the 2019 tax year that does not exceed $103,000. Non-taxable allowances are not included in the adjusted gross income.
- Attending or planning to attend a college or career training school listed on the National Center for Education Statistic’s College Navigator website in the 2020-21 academic year.
*Applicants and awarded scholars attending a Federal Service Academy or a school not listed on College Navigator are not eligible for an award.
*Applicants who have an undergraduate degree, are pursuing a second bachelor’s degree, or are attending graduate school of any kind are NOT eligible.
*Applicants who have served, or are serving, in the U.S. military are required to provide a Statement of Service or DD214 showing honorable character of service.
Heroes Tribute Scholarship Program for Children of the Fallen:
The Scholarship Foundation guarantees scholarships of $30,000 over four years ($7,500 a year) to eligible* children of the following:
- Children of Marines and veteran Marines whose parent was killed in the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001
- Children of Marines and Navy Corpsmen attached to a Marine unit whose parent was killed during a Department of Defense operation, training exercise, or domestic terrorist incident on or after September 11, 2001
- Children of Navy Religious Program Specialists attached to a Marine unit who were killed in combat operations on or after September 27, 2008.
- Children of Marines and Navy Corpsmen attached to a Marine unit whose parent died by suicide as a result of combat related Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
*Heroes Tribute Scholarship Program for Children of the Fallen applicants must meet the established eligibility criteria, excluding income eligibility.
Heroes Tribute Scholarship Program for Children of the Wounded
The Scholarship Foundation provides scholarship support of $6,000 to $40,000 over four years ($1,500 – $10,000) to eligible children of the following:
- Children of Marines and Navy Corpsmen attached to a Marine unit who were wounded in action in any war or conflict
- Children of Marines and Navy Corpsmen attached to a Marine unit who were permanently retired from the Marine Corps or Navy as a result of their service related injury
- Children of Marines and Navy Corpsmen attached to a Marine unit whose parent is currently ill or injured and serving with Wounded Warrior Regiment/Battalion.
Limited Grandchildren Eligibility
The Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation administers programs for several Marine Corps associations that offer scholarships to the grandchildren of their members. To qualify, applicants must provide documentation* of their grandparents’ membership in one of the following associations AND meet the Scholarship Foundation’s eligibility criteria. There are no exceptions. These programs receive limited funding and not all who apply will receive a scholarship award.
- 4th Marine Division Association of WWII
- 5th Marine Division Association of WWII
- 531 Gray Ghost Squadron Association
- 3rd Battalion/26th Marines**
- Basic Class 3-56 Graduate***
- Marines’ Memorial Association
- USMC/Combat Helicopter Association
*Proof of membership can include: membership card, roster list, letter from the association indicating membership.
**DD214 must indicate qualifying grandparent served with 3rd Battalion, 26th Marines.
***Must provide documentation that qualifying grandparent graduated from The Basic School in March 1956.