Effective Date and Questions:
Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation
900 N. Washington Street, Suite 400
Alexandria, VA 22314
Phone: (703) 549-0060
Fax: (703) 549-9474
Information We Collect and How We Use It:
We collect information such as your name, age, gender, personal or business address, occupation, e-mail address, user name, phone number and credit card details that you provide both online and offline. To review your personal information collected, request corrections or for any other questions regarding your information on file please contact us using the same information above.
We collect this information online, for example, when you:
- Visit pages on the MCSF website
- Make an online donation to MCSF
- Complete an MCSF online survey
- Submit your contact information to receive communications from MCSF
- Register for an MCSF event
- Register to participate in an MSCF advocacy or public awareness campaign.
We also obtain this information offline, through registration forms and postal appeals when you:
- Take part in any of our events.
Information collected or tracked online
We may collect personal and non-personal information that you choose to supply to MCSF such as the following:
- Personal Information such as
- Contact information including name, mailing address, email address, and phone number
- Demographic and other information including job title, postal code, preferences, and interests
- Financial information such as credit card number, expiration date, security code, bank routing number, and account number
- Non-personal information, such as:
- Session cookies to have you navigate through our website when you log into a password-only area
- Internet protocol (“IP”) address and browsing variables (e.g. domain from which you access the Internet, time you spend on our website, etc.)
- Other information pertaining to our scholarship program
- Cookies that help us recognize you when you re-visit our website
Generally, we request and use personal information to carry out the transactions that you request, such as making a donation and participating in events. We also use information, such as cookies and IP information, to understand your needs and provide you with a better online experience.
More specifically, we may use your personal information and non-personal information for the following reasons:
- Enter your information into our databases for internal record keeping, reporting, and data analysis
- Communicate with you to obtain your input, provide information on our organization, or request contributions, provided you have opted in to receive such communications
- Improve our organizational offerings
- Customize the website according to your interests
- Share information with third parties who help us manage our website and databases
Information provided offline: rental lists and co-operatives
MCSF may rent to or exchange with third parties the names and postal addresses of donors or volunteers that have provided us with their name and address offline, as a way of raising funds to support important functions and services. These third parties may include MCSF event sponsors and other nonprofit and commercial companies. Such parties are carefully screened and must comply with use policies established by MCSF.
We may also provide certain personal information obtained offline — such as a donor’s name, address and giving history — to companies and cooperatives that use the information to help MCSF improve its fundraising efforts. These companies and cooperatives may use this personal information to advise other third parties in their marketing and fundraising campaigns and may share your name and address with those third parties. If you do not wish to participate in MCSF’s list rental or exchange activities, or if you wish to modify the frequency of future communications from MCSF, please visit www.mcsf.org/preferences.
MCSF also receives names and addresses of potential donors from other companies and organizations. We may obtain additional information and also update information we may have concerning you, as a result of your subsequent involvement with MCSF as a donor, volunteer, and participant in our events or other engagement in our mission.
We use this information to register you to participate in our events, online communities and other programs, to respond to specific questions you may have, to honor requests for brochures or newsletters, to deliver products or materials, to process payments and donations made online and also to contact you about new materials, activities, events and opportunities to volunteer and contribute to programs.
Records regarding the type of individual inquiries we receive are used to create aggregate reports, without reference to any personal information, for internal use only. Your individual queries are accessed only by MCSF employees on a “need-to-know” basis.
Electing to not receive communications or provide information to MCSF
We provide you with the opportunity to “opt out” of having your personal information used for certain purposes when we ask for this information. If you no longer wish to receive certain communications from MCSF, please visit www.mcsf.org/preferences to update your personal preferences where to can elect to have your information excluded from email, mailing, rental or exchange.
All MCSF email communications are compliant according to the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003, a law that sets the rules for email communications, establishes requirements for promotional messages, and gives you the right to choose not to receive email communications from MCSF.
MCSF responds to web browser “do not track” signals and other mechanisms that provide you the ability to opt-out of having your personal and non-personal information collected and tracked. Unless you have selected the “do not track” function within your web browser, third parties may collect personal and non-personal information about your online activities over time and across different website when you use our website.
Our data security practices
No method of transmission over the internet, or method of electronic storage is 100% secure, so therefore while MCSF uses commercially-reasonable means to protect site visitors’ personal information, MCSF cannot guarantee its absolute security.
Legal and Business Disclosures
MCSF, when required, may disclose personal information in response to subpoenas, court orders or other legal process, to law enforcement agencies for the purpose of investigating any activities that we believe, in good faith, to be unlawful, to service providers who work on our behalf and adhere to our privacy policies, and to any successor in interest as a result of a merger or re-organization or by operation of law.